Tuesday 12 March 2013

Nifrost

Nifrost is a folkloric black metal band from Jølster in Norway. The band was formed in 2005 by Eyvind Aardal, Kjetil Andreas Nydal and Tage Årdal. Jørn Ståle Norheim joined the band later on.

Unless you're not Norwegian, you might not understand a word of what I'm about to say in the next paragraph, but here we go...

All their songs are written in their own dialect called "jørstamål" . Which I think is incredible cool. I wish I could read the lyrics while listening, so I can only assume what the lyrics are about from the titles. And with it being a folkloric/black metal band, I'd guess it has some aspects of Norwegian nationalism to it.

The songs are genreally very catchy, and has a cool beat. The song "Ei Vinternatt" is the sort of song I can picture myself listening to while sitting on the grass with a beer in my hand (preferably at a festival like Hellfest). I really enjoy some of the heavier guitar riffs. The transition from a fast tempo to a slow, heavier tempo is always appreciated from my point of view. Some of the heavier riffs in for example Svigersvorne actually reminds me a bit of some of Gojira's heavier riffs.

The ending of Svigersvorne is very beautiful and raw. And this is one of the places where I can fully hear and understand the lyrics. This makes the song even more powerful than before. The contrast between the clean vocals and the instrumental part is tremendous.

I can definitely hear an influence from other Norwegian black metal (such as Taake) in their songs. If you're going to be influence by black metal bands, the Norwegian ones are definitely where you want to start. Norway is the land of black metal, no doubt. Glad to be able to recognise the country of origin just through the black side of the music. Of course, I can hear it in the folk as well (and the lyrics). But just as melodic death metal from Gothenburg has its own sound, Norwegian black metal has its own sound too.

Will you enjoy listening to this band as much as I did? Check them out on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment